Friday, May 29, 2015

May 2015

Welcome to my photoblog on: 

Howell Woods Environmental Learning Center


My name is James. I am a senior at South Johnston High School in Benson, NC.


I love the outdoors and I plan to attend Campbell University and major in Biology starting in the fall. I am hoping to go on to pursue a career in environmental science. I am going to be graduating soon. High school has absolutely flown by and my work for Howell Woods has given me many fond memories to keep for years to come. I will continue my service to Howell Woods and the rest of the community over the summer and as I become a student at Campbell later this year.

Link to the facebook fanpage:
 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photoblog-By-James-Howell-Woods/233829593470397



"Have a great day, spend it outdoors!"
James



________________


To learn more about Howell Woods, please see my previous posts for info, photos, and videos. If you've never been to Howell Woods I hope this blog will peak your interest enough that you will visit. It is a treasure located in Johnston County and one of my favorite places.




To visit the Howell Woods website, click on the link below of contact Director, Jordan Astoske.




http://www.johnstoncc.edu/howellwoods/


Jordan Astoske
Director of Howell Woods
jtastoske@johnstoncc.edu
(919) 938-0115 ext. 221  


______________________ 



May 2015

While it is still the springtime, I would like to post about the many pollinators that inhabit Howell Woods and the rest of our area.  Animals, wind, water can serve as pollinators.  Plants rely on these organisms and environmental factors in order to reproduce and flourish.  

Different kinds of plants attract different types of pollinators.
Below is a chart that displays what traits in plants attract what kinds of pollinators.


 Birds and bees have the ability to see in ultraviolet light, thus allowing them to see a world completely invisible to humans.  Below are pictures of flowers shown in UV lighting.





Below are pictures of the pollinators themselves.  Many of these plants and animals can be found at Howell Woods or in the surrounding region.





























Most people already know that birds and insects are pollinators.  Here are photos of lesser known creatures that many people do not expect to be pollinators.









Please use pesticides responsibly or find alternative ways to prevent pest infestations.  Pesticides affect the entire food chain and their use eventually gets back to us.




No comments:

Post a Comment